Afghan refugees suffer from mushroom poisoning
Mayor of Podkowa Leśna Artur Tusiński has confirmed information about Afghan children who suffered from mushroom poisoning at the Centre for Foreigners in Dębak. The information was also confirmed by the Office for Foreigners spokesperson. "In relation to this unfortunate accident, employees will caution Afghan citizens against eating foods of unknown origin," said the spokesman.
Information regarding children suffering from mushroom poisoning at the Centre for Foreigners in Podkowa Leśna - Dębak was first reported on Monday by OKO.press. An Afghan family picked up mushrooms in a forest where the centre is located. "No one had warned them that mushrooms can be poisonous. A few of them felt ill after eating soup," the portal informed. Mayor of Podkowa Leśna Artur Tusiński confirmed the news. "We're all disturbed with the information about three Afghani children from Dębak suffering from poisoning," he stressed.
Two children in serious condition
Tusiński informed he had spoken with the chief of children surgery and transplant clinic prof. Piotr Kaliciński. "The condition of two children is critical, time is of the essence, liver lobe DONOR NEEDED (family does not qualify)" - he wrote.
The mayor added the situation was even more complex as a court consent was also necessary. "Therefore we're LOOKING FOR CERTIFIED TRANSLATOR, who will be ready on standby," he added.
At the same time, Tusiński denied information reported by OKO.press, alleging that foreigners were receiving only two meals a day. "Foreigners at the centre receive meals three times a day, on the first day of their stay they received one warm meal, as well as packed lunched," he said.
Office for Foreigners confirms information about poisoning
Spokesman for the Office for Foreigners Jakub Dudziak was asked about the issue. "In the facility in Dębak, five Afghan citizens told a doctor they had stomach problems. They didn't inform him about eating mushrooms. Based on the reported symptoms, the doctor began treatment. The next day, ambulances were called to the centre due to worsening conditions (of the patients). People whose health condition required specialised help received it at the hospital," he explained.
Dudziak stressed that the Afghan citizens from Dębak centre had not complained on the food. "In relation to this unfortunate accident, employees will caution Afghan citizens against eating foods of unknown origin," he promised.
Evacuation from Afghanistan
After the evacuation of Afghan associates of the Polish Military Contingent and Polish diplomacy, there are 1,021 Afghan citizens under the care of the Office for Foreigners.
The Afghans have been placed in centres for foreigners and quarantine facilities. The centres provide shelter, food, personal hygiene products, medical and psychological assistance, as well as clothes and toys for children.
Źródło: TVN24 News in English, PAP
Źródło zdjęcia głównego: TVN24